Sunday, 18 March 2012

Gyaru Ramblings and Such


Hi again, pretty girls and boys! So, lately I've been thinking a lot about the extremes of Gyaru fashion - like circle contact lenses and false eyelashes - and wondering when it becomes inappro- priate to wear them (in terms of age). 'Too young', for example, is a factor I've been contemplating since discovering, and choosing to join, Gyaru; but I was so excited about it in the beginning that I never really wondered if the make-up would look too mature on me. All I knew was I wanted to wear it and price didn't matter.
.
When I think about it, I still have the same passion for Gyaru make-up (eyemake, especially) I had in the beginning. If not, more so, as I've done a lot more research and spent a lot of time collecting tutorial scans, but I can't help but fear what my family would think because of my age (I'm fifteen, going on sixteen in August). 

My parents wouldn't make me stop wearing it, but I can tell that they would continuously hint at it being too extreme 'for me' and/or not looking age-appropiate, and it makes me feel like I'm embarrassing them. I know it seems pretentious of me to assume this about them, but it wouldn't be the first time they've done this.
.
They're my family, so of course I respect their opinions and wouldn't want to hurt them intentionally; but I refuse to let what other people think of me influence my appearance anymore. I used to be the kind of girl that only wanted to impress people, but I'm tired of caring about what other people think or say - it's just not worth it. 

After all, I'm living for myself, not to please anyone else; so I especially want to enjoy my youth while it lasts. If that means spending an hour getting ready every morning, going groccery shopping with a tiara tucked into my four-inch bouffant and wearing ridiculous, 3D nails, so be it. Sounds like fun to me!
.
Well, that's it for today, everyone. Thank you so much for reading! Hope you're all having great weekends! TTFN. 
 

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. I guess I won't go into it, since I've probably spoken about it one too many times in my own blog. You know they want you to be happy, and they do, but what happens when your idea of happiness is so different from theirs? It's especially hard when you're close to them.... Kind of feels like you're letting them down? Ultimately, if you're allowed to, then it's all up to you, that's a given. But how I started thinking about things is that you get one shot at life. I'm only 26, but I'm constantly kicking myself for being too scared to express myself when I was younger, and I don't want to be doing that 10 years from now either. Heck, I don't want to be doing it 3 years from now. Besides, they may spend a lot of time with you, but you've got to spend 100% of your life with yourself! You may become known as the 'Princess Barbie' girl, but once you graduate and leave, it won't matter what they said about you, because by then, you'll just be a memory, and so will they ^^ I guess you already know all of this, I don't know why I'm lecturing you XD

    It's really good that you're starting when you are now. Even if you decide that Hime-kei isn't for you, or the one style alone doesn't completely encompass you, it's such a wild style that pretty much going anywhere else will barely be any work! Either way, you'll really enjoy the ride, and at the very least, when you're 50, you'll have some hilarious stories to tell XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, I'm so glad someone understood me, I was afraid of sounding like some really ungrateful brat. >.<; Thank you so much for the support, it means a lot to me! ; u ; ♡

      And yeah, I was ALWAYS the kind of girl who worried way too much about what other people thought of me, but I mean, it's obvious to me now that what's really important is if I'M happy with who I am.

      Thanks again! x

      Delete
  2. I started to discover gyaru when I was about 16/17 and started out slowly. However, there were girls in my year back when I was 14 who wore VERY thick make up, including one who looked pretty natural (you wouldn't know if you weren't up close) not to mention absolutely gorgeous!

    I think your family will get used to it, especially once they see how happy you are expressing yourself! I agree with Aimiya, though, you're the one who has to live with yourself 100% of the time and you have to do what makes you feel happy, comfortable and free. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right! Maybe the look will even grow on them eventually, haha! >w< Thank you so much! ♡

      Delete